Monday, February 28, 2011

The off-season begins..



Once you lose that last game of the season-regardless of how many months you spent every day in the gym with the same team and the same coaches..you really do miss it. Whether it's right away, a week later, or even a month-you can't wait for next seasons games to begin.

Today, I began my first off-season training. I only lifted today, but it was nice to get back into the routine knowing that it will benefit me and my team for my senior season of basketball in college. I am no Michael Jordan and no professional athlete, but I will say that off-season training does pay off. Last summer I emphasized shooting more 3 pointers than usual and doing different drills for my 3 point shot. My percentage improved almost 15% this season. The hard work DOES pay off. No, I wasn't the best shooter in the nation, but it benefited my team and my confidence from the arc knowing how much time I put in this summer.

At one of the last season games I was asked what it takes to be good-the only answer I had to that question for a little girl in middle school was to be in the gym when others are not. There are no days off and if you are in the gym at the same time as your opponent-WORK HARDER THAN THEM. You could have the most talent in the world, but if you don't work at that talent your talents will just stay stagnant. There is always room for improvement-in every aspect of life. There is a difference between good and great..

This is just a few basic thoughts about off-season training. You can be good, but it takes hard work to be great. Not every teenager and young adult want to put in that effort to get where they want to be. Nothing just comes to you-you have to go out and get it. My team and myself-we want to be great. I believe next seasons team is ready to take the time and effort to be that great team for the 2011-2012 season.


Until next time..


#21

No comments:

Post a Comment